Organic Milk vs. Regular Milk - The Showdown

Organic Milk Vs. Regular Milk:
The Showdown

as explained by guest blogger, Adam Moss, industry expert



As a salesman in the foodservice industry for the past 17 years, I have seen my fair share of food trends come and go.  I have understood some of them and shaken my head at others.  As a dairy salesman here in Southern California, I am amazed as to how many calls I have received in the last 2 years from current and potential customers, asking me if I carry organic milk.  When I asked them why they wanted organic milk, most responded with “My customers are asking for it.”  Organic milk is one of the new fads within the food service industry.  It seems that everyone is quickly jumping on the organic milk bandwagon.  But why? Is organic milk really that much better than regular milk to warrant paying a much higher price?
  
I decided to ask some of the other parents at my son’s school if they buy organic milk for their homes.  And, much to my surprise, most of them confirmed that they do.  When I asked them why, the majority of them said it was because organic milk is safer than regular milk.  One of the parents, who shall remain anonymous, said “It’s a heck of a lot more money so it must be better.”  When I then asked them why organic milk is safer, the most common response was that organic milk farmers do not treat their cows with antibiotics or hormones. Those parents were correct.  Organic milk farmers do not treat their cows with antibiotics or hormones.  But neither do non-organic dairy farmers.  While it was common practice years ago, it is not now. 

According to the National Milk Drug Residue Database that was compiled for the years 2013 and 2014, 0% of milk tested positive for drug residues.  In 2015, the FDA surveyed 1,918 raw milk samples and found that less than 1% of those samples contained any antibiotics or hormones.  Before accepting any raw milk, a dairy processing facility, such as the one that I work for, is required to take a sample of the incoming load and test it.  If it is found to have any trace of artificial substances, the load is rejected.  For these reasons, it is important to understand that non-organic milk is completely safe to drink. Based on everything I have read and researched, there are only 2 differences between organic and regular milk. The first is this:  Because organic milk is pasteurized at a higher temperature, it will carry a longer shelf life.  The other difference is the price.  A gallon of organic milk can cost anywhere from $3.00-$5.00 more per gallon than regular milk. 

If you like paying 100% more and/or you don’t consume a great deal of milk, then feel free to continue buying organic. If your family drinks as much milk as mine does, then organic milk is no longer necessary to ensure that you and your family are drinking “safe” milk.


Adam Moss - Regional Sales Manager for Driftwood Dairy in Los Angeles since 2009

Comments

About

By Joni, The Food Sage | For more information, contact Lloyd Russell - lrussell@corporatechefinc.com