Food We Were Lovin' During The Summer of Love!



Aaah, 1967 - The Summer of Love!  Haight Ashbury was happening, and we were wearing flowers in our hair.  The music was "far out," and the vibe was "groovy."  Our fashions were tie-dyed and psychedelic.  And the "hippie thing" was "where it was at."  but what was the food we were lovin' during the Summer of Love?  Well, even though some of the fashion that defined the times has made a comeback (bohemian, fringed everything, and wide leg pants - I just bought some), has the food of 1967 returned?

Remember the gelatin salads?  My mom made one for every special occasion.  Hers was a jiggly, gelatinous concoction, boasting canned fruit cocktail and sometimes even a special creamy layer whipped up like a pastel confection.  I have to say, though, that I'm not fond of its nickname, the "jello mold."  I know it was poured into a ring mold form.  But, seriously, who wants to eat something that's got the word "mold" in it?

We also ate potato chips and dip, made with onion soup mix and sour cream.  Now that was tasty, along with something called "pigs in a blanket."  These were tiny cocktail hot dogs painstakingly swaddled in canned biscuit mix and baked to a golden brown.  I've seen these recreated by a celebrity chef, who enveloped them in buttery puff pastry alongside a sophisticated dijon dipping sauce.

Anyone out there eat "tuna a la king?"  (Don't ask!)  Or little meatballs simmered in grape jelly?  While flipping through the vintage Betty Crocker Cookbook, my mom's recipe for beef stroganoff fell out and landed in front of me.  I can close my eyes and still taste that culinary treat.

A couple of weeks ago, we were invited to a Summer of Love party.  Boy, did we love it! Old-timey soft drinks, a fantastic food truck (now we're talking!), tater tots, fruit skewers, and all the cool decor and music that defined that era.  What a great idea for a party.

So, while the beat and heat of summer are still happening, why not cue up a great playlist, grab your fondue pot and a Fresca, and celebrate 1967.





Comments

  1. My family food choices were quickly replaced with brown rice and veggies when I became a hippy! Still eating that way!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

About

By Joni, The Food Sage | For more information, contact Lloyd Russell - lrussell@corporatechefinc.com